www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: The Thunder Toad Cometh  (Read 35715 times)

Offline dcwp

The Thunder Toad Cometh
« on: Sep 20, 2009, 23:26:54 »
It has become apparent that my build is on the road to bobbertown rather than cafeville so I'll move it over here.  Not to mention that it's time for a re-christening.

Here's my old build thread http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=10041.0

Henceforth the Parts Dolphin will be known as the Thunder Toad. 

Some update/re-introduction pics:

Finished painting/clear coating the tank.  The color is a bit brighter than I wanted, but fine.  I'm fairly unhappy with the job I did.

Lots of orange peel.  I read several places how it is possible to get a near-pro finish with spray bombs as long as you're diligent about sanding etc.  Problem was every time I sanded, no matter how light I thought I was being, I would scratch through.  Used two cans of primer and three cans of color and was still getting down to gray wet sanding very lightly with 1500.  Finally just shot a coat of green, rubbed with dry paper towel and tack cloth without sanding, and moved on to clear.

I started this build to learn more about bikes, especially body work.  What I think I learned here is that painting is best left to the pros.  For the price of all the primer, paint, clear, tools, and labor I put in, I could have probably gotten most of a pro job.  Live and learn.

Still it looks pretty good from a few feet back

You can also see my trimmed up seat pan.  Trashed the first one, cut the rear seat mounts off the frame, and formed up a new lower one.  I cut the first one in half and used it for the front half of the new form.

Attached the front lip mount from the original seat, used two cabinet latches in the back, and two rubber feet from the original seat in the middle.  May still add some foam to the frame rails to distribute pressure as much as possible.

I met with my shoemaker friend this week.  She agreed to do the seat for the price of materials as long as I promise to spread the word if it turns out well.  Started gluing foam to the pan today.  Will hopefully buy some leather Thursday and get the seat to her to start sewing next weekend.  I'm totally stoked.  The wide flat seat is going to be like a bench seat out of an old sedan.  Should add a certain touch.

Now I'm thinking about a tail light.  I've been thinking of going with something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180408785572&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
to minimize the clutter.  Not sure how I'll affix it now though.  I sort of like BaconPocket's side-mounted light, but I'm not positive I can make that work easily either.  I'm sure a minimal amount of fabrication will make either of these work.

Attention Humans: Prepare for the coming of the ThunderToad!

Offline baconpocket

• eating bacon
    • build thread
Re: The Thunder Toad Cometh
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2009, 01:51:58 »
subscribed

that new seat shape looks great with the tank and bars.  i can't wait to see what you have in mind for upholstery. 

great name choice too!

Offline whiteflagwar

• non motorbike pics
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2009, 02:44:34 »
good thinking with the cabinet latches ;)

Offline Curbcast

• http://fablebodied.tumblr.com/
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2009, 09:39:33 »
I was at my cabin the other day & I swear, the toads have been humping frogs.  Weird looking little dudes.

Offline supercafe

« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:04:45 »
hey man,

looking good, i though you had clipons on there???
i like the straight bars better my self.
the seat pan is looking good, like the tank to.
i believe its starting to look more like a bratt style bike, which i wicked awesome.
any way can't wait to see more.
later.

Offline dcwp

« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:52:20 »
Thanks for all the feedback guys!  I'm starting to get busy at work, but I feel the momentum on the bike building.  Hopefully I can balance time and get it rideable just in time to park it for winter.

I never had clipons, must have been a photo with an odd angle that made it look that way.  I decided on the drag bar since I'm too lazy to do yoga while I ride and with the lines of this bike, I figured from the beginning I would move toward a bobber or brat any way. 

Glad everyone likes the brat look from the flat seat, drag bars, and wide tank.  Those brat bikes have been a huge inspiration for me.  When I e-mailed my upholsterer/shoe maker friend about this project I basically just had her check out bratstyle.com to see what I wanted.

I think I'm going for the tuck and roll look (whatever it's called) with horizontal seams across the seat every couple of inches and a rounded profile.  I'm a tiny bit concerned because this seat pan is a few inches shorter than stock and I always had to scoot forward on the stock seat to get my wife comfy on back.  Still, it should be big enough for zipping around town.

One last thing.  I had dreams all night about a hugger fender.  I think I may look for a front fender from a Goldwing or something similar and attach it to the swingarm.  I was going to leave the fender off altogether, but I think this could look cool and allow me to attach a light easily.  Like all ideas though, this is subject to change without  notice.

Thunder Toad will hump frogs if they are in the way.  Clear the road for Thunder Toad.

Offline Ghosttown

« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2009, 12:36:05 »
Yes! This bike is really starting to take shape now, can't wait to see that pan covered. Looking great.
Bag O' Corn, Friend!

Offline ejd2

« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2009, 15:14:09 »
"thunder toad" sounds like a good thing to blame when you don't smell just right.  nice name.

Offline Cafe-XV750

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2009, 15:23:59 »
Tell your shoemaker friend she could have a 2nd seat to recover soon ...
'82 Yamaha XV750 - cafe conversion
'72 Suzuki T500 - rough, but going cafe
'79 Honda XL185 - dirt bomber
'85 Kawasaki ZX900 - resto

Offline dcwp

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2009, 10:39:26 »
Thanks EJ, I was thinking of you when I gave it that name.  Next time you're up here you won't have to blame the dogs.

Cafe-XV - I'll let her know.  Part of the deal was that I told her I could probably send some people her way if she liked doing it.  I know she does killer work on shoes, made some very sweet retro shoes for my wife's birthday a few years ago.

BTW Cafe - I've got an extra set of Focus rotors that have been sitting around for several years but never used.  Do you want them?  They're yours if you'll take them.