www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

GET DTT UPDATES ON FACEBOOK AND TWITTER

Author Topic: $50 mod thread  (Read 301903 times)

Offline mrkil

Re: $50 mod thread
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2008, 12:36:26 »
get aluminum sheet not to heavy not to light - think bendable but not flimsy   -   $10-20
pop rivets   -   $2
3/4 inch foam   -   $5
upholstery vinyl    -   $14
poly glue   -   $4

1 - original seat base- cut off rear 1/4
2 - make sure to use cardboard for the templates on the rear section (don't want to screw up expensive aluminum)
3 - mark template shapes on aluminum for cutting, don't forget to leave extra to fold over for pop riveting
4 - pop rivet together
5 - cut down original seat foam to fit
6 - cover the whole thing in 3/4" foam
7 - make seat cover using vinyl best way is to layup paper over each section of the seat for templates again leaving 1/2" extra for sewing the pieces together
8 - steam the cover by throwing it in the dryer with a wet towel, it will stretch easier over the base
9 - start gluing the cover on starting from the rear and working forward. (i found bulldog clips best for hold fabric in place while drying)

now you have a seat that bolts right up to your frame for under $50

mine has a few ripples because i skipped the heating of the vinyl before mounting it...

maybe next time

« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2008, 12:38:31 by mrkil »

Offline Wee Todd

« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2008, 21:34:28 »
So you lads are building 30yr+ bikes,,and some have drum brakes.Original linings,,,da will give you duh biggest pucker ever on the street :o off to the jobber to get replacements,,,not ;D send them outs to a brake and clutch shop and have then relined with woven fork lift lining,,riveted and glued!! those forking things(and lift too) are on the brakes steady in a wearhouse,,,and not fade!!  dids the front for under $50...
I am sofa king wee todd did !!

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #32 on: Dec 18, 2008, 21:37:23 »
man i can not follow what that says at all... can someone please translate that so i can possibly do this on my bobber build that i really want to keep the drums on?
Joe
"your life is an occasion, Stand up to it"
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #33 on: Dec 18, 2008, 21:40:32 »
not really a mod... more of a assembly trick... to protect the frame when assembling... go to the hardware store get some pipe insulation wrap... comes in all sorts of sizes usually around 1.50 for a 10ft section. it is already split down the middle... just wrap the whole sucker up! works great and comes off super easy if you use masking tape to hold it

Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

recent builds: Hd street bob, TX cafe, KZ bratt, Goldwing tour, bratt wing, st fighter, road king, vriago bobber, chop, FXD, 1200 sporty, 1200xl sporty, GSXR, Royal enfield.. and more

Offline Bouncer

« Reply #34 on: Dec 18, 2008, 22:03:18 »
not really a mod... more of a assembly trick... to protect the frame when assembling... go to the hardware store get some pipe insulation wrap... comes in all sorts of sizes usually around 1.50 for a 10ft section. it is already split down the middle... just wrap the whole sucker up! works great and comes off super easy if you use masking tape to hold it

Good idea man, alot of the CB guys like using garden hose... same concept.
Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is madness. -Mark Twain

Offline JRK5892

• The Powder Pro
« Reply #35 on: Dec 18, 2008, 22:19:10 »
true but hosing is like 15 bucks for a roll... this will cost you $3!
Joe
www.thepowderpro.com

Offline Wee Todd

« Reply #36 on: Dec 18, 2008, 22:43:18 »
Ok, I have the dickshawnary and it says "pucker" stick your lips out to kiss,,something??,,but the pucker I was refurring too is the one you get at the spinckter,its puckering cause you have no BRAKES and about to take down a stray carribou(very similar to Rudolf family of small elks) and referance to forking things um wood be a fork lift  ::) and there on the brakes steady...which makes forklift linings better than the crap(and under the $50.00 bones minimum) than stock shoes  hope this makes more cents

Offline boomshakalaka

« Reply #37 on: Dec 18, 2008, 22:49:18 »
you seem to actually have good stuff to contribute to this forum.  So why do you talk like you have an extra chromosome?

Offline Wee Todd

« Reply #38 on: Dec 18, 2008, 23:20:39 »
I'm told one in three has the X chromezone,and one in six has the Y chromezone's,,geanneticlee faultered,,,,geniealigists blame it on in breading(hallowoween is fun here,, pump KIN),,,,,,and were told this happens in the Ozarks too,,I saw the movie,,deliveredance ::) ::) it's amazing that some folks take this seriously ;D ;D.thanks for the compliment and again I apoligise to referring to you as a :o,,,well I apoligised!!,,,,,,,cb 350 and cb 550 I have a welf of knoelige ;D ;D(couldn't resist, lmao).......forgot just one thing,,if I wasn't warped...I would have no funs!!!!!!!

Offline Flugtechnik

• My bike is not transportation, it is a respite
    • Nixon and Me
« Reply #39 on: Dec 18, 2008, 23:33:46 »
He is the Sofa King!